Spiced Pumpkin Seed Butter
2 Cups Raw Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1⁄2 T Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Allspice
2 T Maple Syrup
1 T Ghee or coconut oil Himalayan (style) salt Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pumpkin seeds, ghee (or oil), and spices. Stir so that the seeds are well coated.
- Spread mixture evenly across foil-lined cookie sheet and toast seeds for about 15 minutes (or less). Once they are toasted, remove from oven and let cool.
- Add one cup of seeds to food processor along with 1 T of maple syrup. Blend until well chopped, then add 1T of water.
- Add last cup of seeds, a pinch of salt and remaining maple syrup. Blend well and add 1 T of water for consistency.
- Serve with fresh apples or celery
- Cinnamon is an ancient spice from trees in Sri Lanka. The aromatic qualities of cinnamon reminds so many of the comforts of fall! Studies have shown cinnamon can be used as a digestion aid, asthma inhibitor, and provide relief from menstrual or ulcer issues. One study even shows it can help patients manage Type-2 diabetes. Cinnamon contains iron, potassium, zinc, calcium and magnesium. Vitamin A and vitamins from the B group are also found in sticks.<
- Maple Syrup is a wonderful natural sweetener! This clear sap is extracted from Acer trees found in northern North America. Maple syrup is a great substitute for sugar, especially in fall recipes because of it’s rich flavor. Maple syrup has calcium, potassium, iron, and is also a good source of mineral manganese and zinc.
- Pepitas are high in fiber (12g per cup) and Omega-3s (9g per cup). Pepitas also provide essential vitamins such as folate and minerals like Potassium, Copper, Zinc and Magnesium; which participates in a wide range of vitally important physiological functions, including the creation of ATP (adenosine triphosphate, the energy molecules of your body), the synthesis of RNA and DNA, the pumping of your heart, proper bone and tooth health, relaxation of your blood vessels, while helping to maintain proper bowel function.