Fine Kale Salad
1 bunch (about 1 lb) of fresh kale
1⁄4 C golden raisins
1 T lemon
1 T Olive Oil
1 tsp raw honey
Dash or salt and pepper
1/3 C raw sunflower seeds (or Pine Nuts)
3 T fresh Parmesan Cheese
- In a food processor pulse kale until finely chopped, then mix kale and currants in salad bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together lemon, olive oil, honey salt and pepper.
- Mix dressing with kale and currents.
- Sprinkle seed and cheese on top.
- Kale: High in Vitamin K, Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Kale is an amazing detoxifying food. It supports the liver because it is full of sulfur and fiber. It is also supportive because it has vitamin C which is helpful to the immune system and protects the liver against oxidative damage. It also help supports connective tissue. Steaming kale is the best way for fiber to be absorbed in the body.
- Sunflower Seeds: High in dietary fiber (6.7g) they also have stress fighters like Vitamin C (1.3mg) and Iron (2.91mg). They contain ALA (n-2 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid) which supports the heart. They also contain protein which is important in maintaining liver health and 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds contains 11 grams of protein.
- Honey: Raw honey has been shown to help bile obstruction which can lead to liver damage and larger health issues. It has also been shown to help control blood sugar and glucose production in people with diabetes. Impaired glucose production can be one component that leads to fatty liver disease. Honey has magnesium, zinc, and potassium to name a few minerals. It also has polyphenols that act as antioxidants that can protect the body from free radical damage.