Nothing smells better than cinnamon apples cooking in the oven, especially on a cold day! This simple recipe is low in sugar and amazingly delicious! Adding fresh whipped cream gives it a little extra richness that kids love!
Ingredients - Baked Apples:
4 medium apples (granny smith, gala or braeburn
1/3 C maple syrup
¼ C Graham crushed crackers
1/3 C oatmeal
2 T butter, softened
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp grated lemon zest
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ C apple juice
3 T Honey
1 T Lemon Juice
Prepare the night before:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut and core apples, use a melon baller to make it fun! You can also cut apples in half for additional servings. Peel ½” wide strip at top of each apple. Place in water with lemon juice to prevent browning (oxidation).
- In food processor pulse graham crackers, oatmeal, maple syrup, butter and cinnamon.
- Place apples in an 8X8 baking dish.
- Mix apple juice, honey and lemon juice in a small sauce pan, warm.
- Fill each apple with graham cracker filling then pour the apple juice mixture over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes (baste every 5 minutes).
- Serve warm or cool with pan juices
- Add fresh whipped cream or ice cream for an extra treat!